Thanks, Kristian. It works now.

On 7/26/06, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
Hong Ji wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a PerparedStatement to insert a record. After the record is
> inserted (after statement.executeUpdate()), I call
> aStatement.getGeneratedKeys() to retrieve the generated id of the new
> record, but it returns a null ResultSet.
>
> Is getGeneratedKeys() supposed to work with Derby?

Hello Hong,

Yes, getGeneratedKeys() is supposed to work.
I'm able to retrieve a auto-generated key when doing an INSERT with a
PreparedStatement.

Did you remember to create the PreparedStatement with the correct
Connection.prepareStatement-method?
(Connection.prepareStatement(String,int))

You must tell Derby to return the generated keys, or else you will get
an empty ResultSet. Note that Derby does not support the
prepareStatement-methods that take an integer or String array.

Hope this helps,
--
Kristian