I have logged a JIRA issue for this:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1645

I have a table which has an auto-generated key:

create table MyTable (
   TableId INTEGER GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY NOT NULL,
   StringValue VARCHAR(20) not null,
   constraint PK_MyTable primary key (TableId)
)

I verify that GENERATED BY DEFAULT is set:

SELECT * FROM
sys.syscolumns col
INNER JOIN sys.systables tab ON col.referenceId = tab.tableid
WHERE tab.tableName = 'MYTABLE' AND ColumnName = 'TABLEID'

I'm pulling in data for which I need to preserve the ID's:

INSERT INTO MYTABLE (TableId, StringValue) VALUES (1, 'test1')
INSERT INTO MYTABLE (TableId, StringValue) VALUES (2, 'test2')
INSERT INTO MYTABLE (TableId, StringValue) VALUES (3, 'test3')

In the absense of the Derby 10.2 feature (ALTER TABLE WITH RESTART X), I try to just change the INCREMENT BY value and insert a row so that I can reset the "next" key value:

ALTER TABLE MyTable ALTER TableId SET INCREMENT BY 50

Then I insert a "dummy" record (which I will delete later...) to move the key upwards:

INSERT INTO MYTABLE (StringValue) VALUES ('test53')

This has the desired effect of moving the IncrementValue, however, I can now no longer insert explicit values into the primary key like this:

INSERT INTO MYTABLE (TableId, StringValue) VALUES (-999, 'test3');  Generates this error: SQL Exception: Attempt to modify an identity column 'TABLEID'.

Upon checking the sys.syscolumns table again, I verify that the table no longer has an auto-generated key, but the TableId is still an identity column, which is a problem, since we need to be able to insert explicit values at times for this key.

Regards,

Alan Baldwin

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware". Monsanto accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.