db-derby-user mailing list archives

From tim luksha <tjl6...@rit.edu>
Subject Re: How To Run Derby on a PocketPC?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:58:15 GMT
Timothy Luksha (RIT Student <tjl6426@...> writes:

> On 8/7/06, Marc Schlegel <Marc.Schlegel@...> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've posted a mail some weeks ago and received some help but I'm still
> > not able to run Derby on a PocketPC.
> > So I thought that I should start from scratsch. I'm working with
> > WebSphere Device Developer 5.7 (wctme 5.7) and IBMs J9 VM.
> > With my former attempts I wasn't able to get rid of an
> > UnsupportedClassVersionError.
> > I've read some posts that some people were able to tun Derby on PocketPc
> > but those posts didn't tell me how.
> >
> > Could anybody tell me which steps are necesarry?
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> Derby should work with j9.   There are two very important things to remember
> when attempting to get Derby to run with j2me.  First, do not use
DriverManager
> to attempt to get a jdbc connection.  j2me does not support this.  You must
> use a class called embeddedDataSource.  Secondly, j9 does not come with an
> implementation of jsr-169 automatically.  This jar is available from IBM
separately
> and it called jdbc.jar.  I forget where my copy came from but when i figure
it out I
> will post some instructions.  Derby should work if you remember to do those
two things.

> Also, I have been trying alternate j2me JVM's with derby and it seems to crash
> both CVM and Creme.  I hope that my experience with those JVM's can save
> you a little leg work if you were planning on evaluating them with derby.
>
> Please post more detailed errors if you still have problems.  We all will try
> help you out.
>
> Tim
>
> Attachment (winmail.dat): application/ms-tnef, 3420 bytes

I'm sorry, the correct class to use with j2me is EmbeddedSimpleDataSource.  To
get jdbc.jar with wsdd 5.7.1 you have to do the following in the feature
updates box:

1. Click "IBM Micro Environment toolkit for Extension Services 5.7.1"
2. Click "Extension Services for WebSphere Everyplace"
3. Click "JSR 169 (BETA) for Extension Services 5.7.1"
4. Click "install now"

If I remember correctly, wsdd may prompt you saying it needs other things.  It
will not try to get the other required packages automatically but each one is
available in the feature update box. Once you successfully install jsr-169, the
jar should be located at:
\IBM\DeviceDeveloper\wsdd5.0\technologies\eswe\bundlefiles\jdbc.jar

Tim