db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Clive Borrageiro" <cli...@cibecs.com>
Subject Working set memory usage
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:34:28 GMT
Hi,

When I use derby as an embedded database that contains a large amount of
records (in excess of 100,000), the Working set memory (as seen under
Windows Task Manager > Mem Usage) of the application's process grows with
time & usage.

I created a simple test application that inserts 100,000 records into a
table, then retrieves these and updates each record individually. At the end
of this process the Working set memory displays a value of around 160MB.
I have profiled the application but the maximum java heap memory used is
17MB.

I also tried running the same process using the database through a network
server; the test application's Working set memory displayed a maximum value
of 17.5MB (java heap around 1MB) but the process running the network server
climbed to 60MB (Working set).

What causes this Working set memory to rise?

Thank you,
Clive