db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: NullPointerException in Derby client
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:03:24 GMT

On Aug 28, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Please file a bug report in the Derby JIRA. Include the stack trace
>> along with an ij script that creates the tables and a simple jdbc
>> program that issues the query that causes the NPE.
>>
>> Someone on the Derby dev team will follow up.
>
> There is no "Derby team", Derby is an open-source community where
> anyone
> can get involved and work on improving Derby in many ways including
> fixing bugs.

Of course, Dan has it right. What I meant by "Derby team" is the
community of Derby contributors and developers who work on Derby. And
if someone looks into the NPE and contributes a patch, then a Derby
committer will have to actually apply the patch...

Craig

> People work on what interests them: "fry their own fish" or
> "scratch their own itch". Entering a bug may catch the interest of
> someone already active in the community, but it may not, there is no
> "will" about it. One sure way to get a bug fixed is to work in the
> community on fixing it.
>
> Here's an explanation of how development at Apache works:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Understand+How
> +Development+Works+at+Apache
>
> The community is always ready to welcome new people.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev
>
> Dan.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com