db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Joel Garringer" <Jo...@enduropls.com>
Subject TRUE/FALSE SQL functionality
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:25:27 GMT
We would like to migrate to Derby, but we have encountered some
difficulty in regard to support for Boolean operations. It isn't
critical to us that Derby store Booleans, but there are some operations
in a large number of our SQL statements that appear to be unsupported on
Derby.

For instance:

Imagine a table with the following columns:

    myID          as Integer,

    myString    as String,

    createUser as Integer,

    deleted      as Boolean

We would like to be able to:

    SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE NOT deleted

    UPDATE myTable SET deleted=True WHERE createUser=1

    DELETE FROM myTable WHERE deleted

Is there any data-type in Derby that supports this? I know that Derby
doesn't currently support a Boolean data type for columns, but some
databases that do not have a Boolean column type do support the
operations I have listed here so I thought I should check. We really
want to migrate to Derby, and it isn't an issue to us how the underlying
values are stored as long as we can perform these types of operations. I
am pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanted to make sure before we
gave up.

We saw that there was some discussion of support for Booleans being
backed out of version 10.2. Are there any plans to reintroduce it in the
future?

Thanks.

Joel

www.enduropls.com