db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:20:58 GMT
Stephen Caine <stephen@commongrnd.com> writes:

> Rick,
>
> Is there a process for updating an existing 10.1 database?  I get this error:
>
> An error occured in your webtemplate:
> TYPE: 500
> MESSAGE:DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040, SQLERRMC: Failed to
> start database 'CompanyDB', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE:
> XCW00Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
> CLASS: javax.servlet.ServletException
>
> CAUSE:
> No cause available
> ROOT CAUSE MESSAGE: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040, SQLERRMC:
> Failed to start database 'CompanyDB', see the next exception for
> details.::SQLSTATE: XCW00Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
> Unknown exception encountered

Hi Stephen,

Upgrade is disabled in alpha and beta releases of Derby, but you can
enable it by setting the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade
property (java -Dderby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true ....). If
you set that property, your 10.1 database is booted in soft upgrade
mode, which means that the database will still work when you go back
to Derby 10.1.

If you set the property *and* add ";upgrade=true" to the connection
URL, the database will be upgraded to the 10.2 format. In that case,
the database cannot be booted with Derby 10.1 any more. And if the
database format is changed between the beta and the final release, it
might not even be bootable with Derby 10.2.

You should absolutely not upgrade a database to 10.2 beta unless you
have a backup!

HTH,
--
Knut Anders