db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Duncan Groenewald <duncangroenew...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: AW: Howto import data from different databases
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:38:00 GMT
I started with a console program and properties file but have recently
upgraded it to be a swing gui with databases defined in a properties file.

You then select the source database (can be a CSV file), then the
schema, then the table, then the columns you want. You can also reorder
the columns to match the target databases columns and visa versa. Then
you selected the target database, schema, table and columns and click copy.

The program checks the number of source records and that the source and
target columns match and then starts copying. Null fields are not
included in the sql statements which are dynamic so may have performance
problems for very large amounts of data.

Also I found some drivers or something crashed after a large number of
rows (probably my bad code). Anyway the quick fix was to reconnect (new
Connection) every 1,000 records and it now seems to run fine. Loading
from a Notes database via a Notes SQL ODBC driver (odbcjdbc) does about
100 records per second. I have lots of disparate data but seldom have to
worry about more than 100,000 records.

The copying runs in a background thread and shows progress and when its
done it compares number of target records with original.

Code is not pretty but given I often have to do conversions etc. and I
have total control over the code to be able to handle any strange data
or conversions its all I need. Send me your email address if you want a
copy of the code or screen shots. You will have to read the code to
figure it out !!

All up I have probably spend 20 hours on it.

Cheers.