db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DerbyClient has problem with whitespaces in connection urls
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:27:15 GMT
Doug Bunting wrote:

> On 8/23/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> Doug Bunting wrote:

[SNIP]

>> > My question was about a change which seems unnecessary moving the
>> > jdbc:derby: scheme /further/ from RFC 3986.  The incompatibility with
>> > earlier Derby versions makes matters worse.
>>
>> What incompatibility?
>
> %20 (and other URL escapes) previously worked

Can you specify a version of Derby in which %20 "worked"? I assume your
definition of "worked" is that the URL escapes are parsed according to
RFC-3986.

I tried connecting to a database in a path with spaces using IJ:

connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/path with spaces/myDB;create=true';

With Derby 10.1.1.0, ERROR 08004 is thrown (path not found). With Derby
10.1.3.1, the command works as expected. This seems to be what DERBY-618
fixed.

When I try connecting to a database using the URL escape sequence %20
instead of spaces, I see no change in Derby behavior. '%20' is
interpreted literally in both 10.1.1.0 and 10.1.3.1. In other words, the
command

connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/path%20with%20spaces/myDB;create=true';

creates the database in a directory called 'path%20with%20spaces'.
(Tested on Unix (Solaris)).

Thanks,

--
John