db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DerbyClient has problem with whitespaces in connection urls
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:38:10 GMT
Doug Bunting wrote:

> Dan,
> I understand though I don't see anything in the JDBC specification
> requiring spaces be allowed in a jdbc: scheme URL.  Did I miss
> something?

The JDBC 4 spec says "The contents and syntax of the subname will
depend on the subprotocol.". Thus the format is implementation defined.
Derby's database names are a reflection of file system names and those
allow spaces and to be ease-of-use Derby allows direct use of
File.getName()/getPath() without encoding.

> My question was about a change which seems unnecessary moving the
> jdbc:derby: scheme /further/ from RFC 3986.  The incompatibility with
> earlier Derby versions makes matters worse.

What incompatibility?

View raw message