db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: drop column functionality
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:05:10 GMT
Tim Dudgeon wrote:
> 1. Should I apply the patch to the 10.1.3.1 sources (e.g. the
> db-derby-10.1.3.1-src.zip download) or something else?

The patch is intended to be applied to the current trunk, which
you can fetch from svn via

   svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/

> 2. Syntax: presumably
> ALTER TABLE a_table DROP COLUMN a_column;

Yes, pretty much just like that, with two additional notes:
  - the keyword "COLUMN" is optional, and
  - there is an optional [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ] at the end; if you
    don't say CASCADE or RESTRICT the default is CASCADE.

If you have more comments about the patch or the implementation
we should probably move this discussion to the developer's list
(derby-dev@db.apache.org).

thanks,

bryan