db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to log queries that do sequential scan of any table
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:11:47 GMT
Farrukh S. Najmi wrote:

> I am optimizing for performance in my application. We have a large
> unit test suite.
> I am looking for a way to log *any* table sequential scan on any query
> executed
> during the running of my regression test suite to identify queries
> that need to be
> optimized. Is there a way that I could do this easily?

If you set derby.language.logQueryPlan=true,  Derby will log the query
plans for *all* the queries to derby.log so be aware that your derby.log
can get pretty big. You can search for table scan in derby.log to see if
a table scan was used for any of the queries.

Some helpful links:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproper43414.html
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PerformanceDiagnosisTips

HTH,