db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ot ten Thije <O.ten.Th...@topdesk.com>
Subject Multiple statements in a single execute()
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:35:03 GMT
I am integrating derby  into an existing appliction, which uses a
template system to be able to access multiple different RDBMS'es. I've
been trying to make a workaround for derby's current lack of support for
the ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN and most of the ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN -
statements. Unfortunately, the template system used does not allow calls
to Java (or anything else other than itself, for that matter), so any
manipulation must be executable with one single statement.execute().

I thought I'd solve this by simply using a statement seperator like the
semi-colon, but after extensively searching the docs and the web I've
been unable to find out what - if any - derby's separation character is.
So my question is: _is_ there a separation character at all, and if
there isn't, what else could I do to execute multiple statements with
just one execute()? Are there any indications on whether this
functionality will be implemented in a future release ?

Perhaps an example helps to add some clarity. Instead of doing this:

(new Statement("CREATE TABLE tablename (<fields>)")).execute();
(new Statement("INSERT INTO tablename (<fields>) VALUES
(<values>)")).execute();

I need to be able to do something like this:

(new Statement("CREATE TABLE tablename (<fields>); INSERT INTO tablename
(<fields>) VALUES (<values>) ")).execute();

I'd very much appreciate your help on this,

Yours sincerely,

Ot ten Thije