db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: XMLPARSE/XMLSERIALIZE question
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:06:50 GMT
Is the output of XMLSERIALIZE varchar?

  If you are getting back a java string (or varchar etc), there is no need for the xml header
to mention encoding (already have characers). If you get back a byte[] (or binary data), it
should put the xml header so that the client can parse the xml using correct encoding.

  I am speculating that when you use xmlserialize, you probably serialize into varchar, so
there is no need for encoding info. As far as the rest of the xml header goes, without the
header it is still parseable, or it is easier for the client to add <?xml version="1.0"?>
characters than to remove them (The client may want to plug this xml content into an existing
xml, if there is xml header it causes pain), so it is working correctly i think.

  Also, "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" would not have been correct if you
have the xml content as a java string in memory, because java strings are not utf-8.

  Regards,
  Ali

Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:

I insert an XML document into an XML column using XMLPARSE (with 10.2)
and select it using XMLSERIALIZE. The raw input to the XMLPARSE had as
its first line:

I don't see that being generated when I select it with XMLSERIALIZE, is
that expected?

Thanks,
Dan.