db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Kilshaw" <te...@quantechsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Derby vs. Hypersonic SQL
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:50:41 GMT
I'd also like to know if Hypersonic has both client/server and standalone
functionality. For client/server operation I guess it would need a JDBC
driver. Is one available for it?

Finally, does it have tools for admin and query?

Thanks,

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Enyedi [mailto:robert.enyedi@intland.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:07 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Derby vs. Hypersonic SQL

Hi,

We have a MySQL database with around 50 tables and we are thinking about
supporting other database engines too. After studying the options on the
Java DB engine implementations, it seems that there are two important
contenders: Apache Derby and Hypersonic SQL. While our feeling is that
Hypersonic SQL is a more mature product, Derby seems to be hyped about a lot
these days and it also has quite some history since the days of Informix and
Cloudscape.

Could you please help in our decision by pointing out some advantages and
shortcomings of Apache Derby versus Hypersonic SQL?

Thanks,
Robert