db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: How to emulate multiple DISTINCT aggregates?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:45:23 GMT
Let's look at the query differently to see what it is trying to say:

  SELECT  count(some columns) FROM table_a a
WHERE ( some field1 criteria thats always true )
AND ( some field2 criteria thats always true )
AND (some field3 criteria thats always true )

  The where clause will always be true. For a given row, if where clause is true, the tuples
of that row will be returned. That would make 3 rows (all rows) returned in this case since
where clause is always true. And which column we count does not matter i guess.

  Regards,
  Ali

derby@segel.com wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
 .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
         That doesn’t make sense.
  Each sub select statement should have returned the following
  Field A {1,2}
  Field B {1,2}
  Field C {1,2,3}

  Then in the original select, your counts should be {2,2,3};

  Note: I used Informix.

  There is something interesting going on. You’re using a dummy table as a wrapper for 3.
  Now I wonder what the optimizer thinks of this and how, if at all, does it parallelize the
query?

  I’ll try my sql method on a similar table to yours, but I do think the response you saw
wasn’t correct.