db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Kilshaw" <te...@quantechsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Unique case-insensitive constraint on a varchar column
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:46:30 GMT
Derby should offer a case-insensitive operation mode.

This is something I have been asking for.

Here is the text of my feature request application. Feel free to support
this if you see the same need

Global case insensitive setting
-------------------------------

                 Key: DERBY-1748
             Project: Derby
          Issue Type: New Feature
            Reporter: Terry

By default MySQL is case insensitive in its string comparisons, as you can
see from the MySQL docs shown below. Similar functionality is available in
Sybase iAnywhere and in SQLServer. I'd like the same to be true for Derby.

What, I wonder, are chances of that?

I am aware that functions could be used to force comparisons in upper case
but that subverts the indexes and makes searches unacceptably long.

If you were to ask people you might find that this is a feature whose
abscence is causing many to look elsewhere.

thanks for all the great work,

Terry

The MySQL Docs say:

-------- start quote

 By default, MySQL searches are not case sensitive (although there are some
character sets that are never case insensitive, such as czech). This means
that if you search with col_name LIKE 'a%', you get all column values that
start with A or a. If you want to make this search case sensitive, make sure
that one of the operands has a case sensitive or binary collation. For
example, if you are comparing a column and a string that both have the
latin1 character set, you can use the COLLATE operator to cause either
operand to have the latin1_general_cs or latin1_bin collation. For example:

col_name COLLATE latin1_general_cs LIKE 'a%'
col_name LIKE 'a%' COLLATE latin1_general_cs col_name COLLATE latin1_bin
LIKE 'a%'
col_name LIKE 'a%' COLLATE latin1_bin

If you want a column always to be treated in case-sensitive fashion, declare
it with a case sensitive or binary collation. See Section 13.1.5, "CREATE
TABLE Syntax".

    By default, the search is performed in case-insensitive fashion. In
MySQL 4.1 and up, you can make a full-text search by using a binary
collation for the indexed columns. For example, a column that has a
character set of latin1 can be assigned a collation of latin1_bin to make it
case sensitive for full-text searches.