Here is the description of String.subString()

substring

public String substring(int beginIndex,
                        int endIndex)
Returns a new string that is a substring of this string. The substring begins at the specified beginIndex and extends to the character at index endIndex - 1. Thus the length of the substring is endIndex-beginIndex.

Examples:

 "hamburger".substring(4, 8) returns "urge"
 "smiles".substring(1, 5) returns "mile"

Parameters:
beginIndex - the beginning index, inclusive.
endIndex - the ending index, exclusive.
Returns:
the specified substring.
Throws:
IndexOutOfBoundsException - if the beginIndex is negative, or endIndex is larger than the length of this String object, or beginIndex is larger than endIndex.

So this indicates to me that a SQLException is what is to be expected in this case in the case of Kathey's example.

Regards
Lance

Craig L Russell wrote:
Hi Lance,

Now that Kathey has kicked it back to you and me, how about updating the to-be-released JDBC 4 to point out that a length of zero for the getSubString is valid?

String getSubString(long pos,
                    int length)
                    throws SQLException
Retrieves a copy of the specified substring in the CLOB value designated by this Clob object. The substring begins at position pos and has up to length consecutive characters.

Parameters:
pos - the first character of the substring to be extracted. The first character is at position 1.
length - the number of consecutive characters to be copied

We might simply add to this description.

length - the number of consecutive characters to be copied; 0 is a valid value

We have a similar case with Blob byte[ ] getBytes().

Can you run this past the expert group for a quick consensus?

Thanks,

Craig