db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Supal Patel <supal.pa...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Can I encrypt a non encrypted database ?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:38:43 GMT
Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalamati@...> writes:

> Kristian Waagan wrote:
> > Supal J Patel wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If I have a database which is not encrypted and have some data in it ,
> >> can I now encrypt that database ? In all the manuals they talk abt
> >> how to create a new encrypted database. Its no where mentioned that if
> >> you can or can not encrypt already existing database which is not
> >> encrypted.
> >

> > Hello Supal,
> >
> > I don't think encrypting an existing (unencrypted) database is possible
> > yet, but there is somebody working on adding this feature. You can track
> > the progress by watching the issue DERBY-1156:
> >
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1156
> >

> > Does anyone know if this issue is still on track for the upcoming 10.2
> > release?
>
> I am working on the feature (DERBY-1156) that will allow users to
> configure an existing un-encrypted database for encryption. I hope to
> finish this work for upcoming 10.2 release.

Hi Suresh & Kristian,

Thanks for the response. I checked the Issue DERBY-1156 and it seems that the
development work on that issue is almost over. Then I downloaded latest db-
derby-snapshot-10.2.0.3-412239 but that does not have your changes.

Can you help me with how can I get the patch for this issue ? Is it included
in any of alpha snapshots ? The only way to get this patch is download the
complete development trunk and build it or is there any other shortcut :) ?
When is the oficial release expected?

Thanks and Regards,

Supal Patel