db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Supal J Patel <supal.pa...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Getting : javax.crypto.ShortBufferException while creating a encrypted database
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:54:01 GMT
Hi All,

I am trying to create a encrypted  Derby Db using
com.ibm.j9.jce.provider.J9JCEProvider.  This JCE provider comes with IBM's
J9 JRE. I am using J9 JCL Max and this J9 comes with j9jceprov.jar which
is a JCEProvider.

To debug the problem I downloaded Derby source and successfully set up a
local development environment. While looking at the source code I found
that  in org.apache.derby.impl.services.jce.JCECipherProvider class'
public int encrypt(byte[] cleartext, int offset, int length,  byte[]
ciphertext, int outputOffset) method is throwing this exception.

I understand that this exception is thrown when  the given output buffer
is too small to hold the result . Thats why I updated this method as
attached in Updated_Encrypt_Method.txt to make sure that outbuffer is
always sufficient.  Now after this change if you check the Debug
statements printed in attached OutPut.txt  then you will find that length
of ciphertext array and out put of cipher.getOutputSize(length) is always
same and its still throwing ShortBufferException. And in that case it
should not throw this exception.

For your reference I am also attaching my test class which is
JDBCTest.java. Please also note that I am using J9 as my JRE.
If I run the same test program with IBM 1.4.2 JRE and use either IBMJCE
provider (which comes with IBM JRE 1.4.2) or BouncyCastleProvider its
working fine and I can successfully create the encrypted database.

Can anyone please help me with this strange problem? Is it the problem
with com.ibm.j9.jce.provider.J9JCEProvider I am using ?

Thanks and Regards,

Supal Patel