db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Peterson, John" <John.Peter...@pega.com>
Subject ERROR 42X89: Types 'INTEGER' and 'CHAR' are not type compatible. Neither type is assignable to the other type.
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:04:49 GMT
Hello,

It was reported to me that one of the reasons our software currently
doesn't work with Apache Derby is because of ERROR 42X89.  One of the
engineering teams reported: "We found that there is a bug in Derby in
its support for the Case statement. There is a workaround but that will
require us to change the SQL generation code to specifically check if
we're connected to Derby and generate a different SQL syntax."  After
inquiring after the specifics, I was provided with the following
example:

ij>values case when 1=2 then 3 else NULL end;
ERROR 42X89:  Types 'INTEGER' and 'CHAR' are not type compatible.
Neither type is assignable to the other type.

Is this indeed a bug (that will be fixed in the future), or is Derby
behaving as it was intended?

Thanks for your help,
John