db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: should Clob.getSubstring() allow length of 0?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:58:35 GMT
Hi Lance,

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:55 AM, Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> The JDBC methods should, as much as the possibly can, be consistent
> with the behavior of methods in the JDK.

I agree with your point here. I think all of us are saying that there
is no inconsistency with zero length Strings in JDK. All of the
methods we've looked at are consistent with allowing the APIs to
handle zero length Strings as a simple boundary condition. The only
thing that's a bit hard to grok is the fact that JDBC generally uses
1-origin indexing while JDK uses 0-origin. But everything in the API
allows zero-length Strings.

> This specific issue could easily be argued either way and I see it
> from a different point of view

I haven't seen anything in your examples (once corrected) that give
you a different point of view. Can you please re-read the thread and
tell us where there is a problem?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com