db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Startup time for Derby
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:52:47 GMT
In this discussion it would be good to understand what "startup" means.

1) is the user "starting" up on an existing db.  Our unit tests almost
    always create a new database as part of the startup.  Since creating
    a new db and connecting is one step in derby, it is often difficult
    to tell the difference.

2) is the user "starting" up on an existing database that has a lot of
    recovery to do.  Derby provides a way to shut down "cleanly" so that
    no recovery is necessary at the next startup.