db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ERROR 42X89: Types 'INTEGER' and 'CHAR' are not type compatible. Neither type is assignable to the other type.
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:09:23 GMT
Peterson, John wrote:

> Our concern with casting NULL to the appropriate type is that it might
> have a performance impact on the other databases.  At this point it
> appears as though we would have to do performance testing of our
> software on all supported databases to determine if the impact of the
> CAST is worth supporting Derby as well.  However, if this is a bug which
> will be fixed in a future release our efforts will be for naught.
> Clearly it would be preferable if we could avoid expending our resources
> on adapting and testing code which currently already works.  We are
> trying to assess whether the Derby community considers this issue a bug
> before making our decision about whether or not our software will
> support Derby.

I think it's a bug, similar to DERBY-7 (sorry for the earlier
confusion). Since this is open source, rather than spending the time
modifying your application you could get involved in the development of
Derby. The community is always open to new folks, please join.

Subscribe to derby-dev, read the wiki, and ask questions on derby-dev.

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

Dan.