db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Startup time for Derby
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:12:38 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I am here at OSCON and a user of Derby was complaining rather
> energetically to me at the cost of startup time for Derby.  He said this
> is a real problem for running unit tests, as this is compounded by
> running multiple tests, each one starting up a new database.
>
> I was wondering if other users out there have a similar complaint and if
> you can give a sense of how important this is.  If you can describe your
> specific usage pattern that would be very helpful.

We have this issue too.  Unit tests do take much longer whenever Derby
is involved, but also we use a database as a kind of document which the
user can load, and it means increased time to load the document from the
user's point of view.  HSQLDB in comparison was instantaneous.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd