db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Java Data Types in Derby
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:05:42 GMT
Hi Jitendra,

Jitendra Kharche wrote:

>Thanks Kristian.
>I checked. The column size is smaller than the data being inserted.
>
>I have two questions
>1. Does Derby support java data types like cloudscape?

I think you may be asking whether Derby, like Cloudscape, supports
abstract data types, that is, the ability to declare a column's type to
be any Serializable java class. This functionality was removed from
Derby before it was open-sourced. The reason was that the language
supporting this feature was not the ANSI approved language for declaring
ADTs. Fortunately, most of the machinery needed to support this feature
is still in the codeline and what we need to do is bolt the standard
ANSI language on top. This enhancement is logged as DERBY-651.

Regard,
-Rick