db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ERROR 22001
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:25:55 GMT
Jitendra Kharche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Derby that is embedded in Websphere App Server Community Edition.
> I get the following error
> ERROR 22001: A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHAR
> Can anybody explain about this and how can i remove it.

Hello Jitendra,

To me it looks like the data that is inserted into Derby is too large
(ie. the string is too long). The maximum size of VARCHAR in Derby is
32672 characters. It might also be that the column is defined to have a
smaller maximum length.

As for truncation, only trailing whitespace can be truncated.

You could check the length of your data and the maximum length of the
column it is inserted into.
If the data is too long, you can increase the size of your VARCHAR column.
If you need to store larger amounts of texts, you might have to use CLOB
instead.

You also have LONG VARCHAR. It is the same as VARCHAR, but you don't
need to specify a maximum length when you create the table. It can hold
  a maximum of 32700 characters.

Regards,
--
Kristian