db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Paul J DeCoursey <p...@decoursey.net>
Subject Re: Embedded in Servlet on Tomcat?
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:47:58 GMT
Stanczak Group wrote:
> When I say absolute I mean in the connection parameters. That's the
> only thing that Derby specific. I'm using Toplink with JPA.
>
> Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>>

>> Hi Paul -
>>
>> Sounds like you have a lot of experience in the area.  Your
>> architecture seems beyond my experience but I did notice something I
>> missed in my first read that might be of help.  You wrote:
>>
>> "..I have an absolute path set, but it still does it. Shouldn't it
>> write everything to that path and not just start writing to where
>> ever it decides home is? .."
>>
>> Derby writes the logfile to derby.system.home (this also serves as
>> the ROOT directory for any relative path references).  If this is not
>> explicitly set prior to loading the Derby driver the value defaults
>> to the default directory for the JVM.  Derby's view of the world is
>> from the JVM perspective, not the server or application that starts
>> it.  I assume the 'absolute path' you set is an application or server
>> property?
>>
>> Anyway, a possible solution for you might be to set derby.system.home
>> to an appropriate location (the absolute path?) prior to loading the
>> Derby driver.
>>
>> HTH

I'm not really familiar with Toplink with JPA, but I'm thinking that
Stanley Bradbury is correct.  You need to get derby.system.home set to a
writable directory.  If possible you can try to set it using the
-Dderby.system.home=<path to a writable directory> option in your
startup script (HINT: environment variable TOMCAT_OPTS). I'm not sure of
any other way to ensure that that gets set prior to Derby loading.

In searching I found this... something I have not tried, but worth a look...
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t144344-tomcat-50-setting-system-properties-for-an-application.html

Good luck,

Paul