db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedded in Servlet on Tomcat?
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:49:31 GMT
Stanczak Group wrote:
> How does one get Derby embedded in a servlet under Tomcat. In my
> development environment I'm using Netbeans and Tomcat. Tomcat install
> is under root so I can't write to is, just my web modules directories.
> I can connect to a path with Netbeans's database tool, but when I
> launch the app on Tomcat I get errors that it can't create files like
> createDD.jdbc and derby.log. I'm guessing this is because Derby is
> showing it's home as the root of the Tomcat server.  The question is
> why and how can I fix this? I have an absolute path set, but it still
> does it. Shouldn't it write everything to that path and not just start
> writing to where ever it decides home is?

Hi -

For embedded Derby to work properly it needs to be loaded high in the
classloader hierarchy of the server.  As far as I know this cannot be
done by an application, the application layer has too many restrictions
and Derby is designed to be a shared resource.  Sharing Derby is done by
integrating Derby with Tomcat as described in the JPetStore write-up at:

http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/DerbyTomcat5512JPetStor.html

I believe that Derby in client/server architecture might be your only
choice  if you cannot get Derby embedded as a global resource at the
Server level.