db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Paul J DeCoursey <p...@decoursey.net>
Subject Re: Embedded in Servlet on Tomcat?
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:46:21 GMT
Stanczak Group wrote:
> How does one get Derby embedded in a servlet under Tomcat. In my
> development environment I'm using Netbeans and Tomcat. Tomcat install
> is under root so I can't write to is, just my web modules directories.
> I can connect to a path with Netbeans's database tool, but when I
> launch the app on Tomcat I get errors that it can't create files like
> createDD.jdbc and derby.log. I'm guessing this is because Derby is
> showing it's home as the root of the Tomcat server.  The question is
> why and how can I fix this? I have an absolute path set, but it still
> does it. Shouldn't it write everything to that path and not just start
> writing to where ever it decides home is?

I have encountered similar issues.  I also develop with Tomcat and
Netbeans. I do not have issues with absolute paths however.  I let the
servlet get me the path however, on the servlet init I get the
ServletContext and call getRealPath("WEB-INF") to get my base directory
for my database. I have init-params setup as well so I can reset this to
a directory outside of the servlet context altogether.  Hope this gets
you set in the right direction.

Paul