db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.rich...@mgrinformatica.com.br>
Subject Rename table error
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:55:28 GMT
Hi!

I think this is being worked on... anyway, I'll ask:

I'm returning to Derby because it advanced so much, and is almost a good
choice for production systems (don't make this a flame war, I have my
personal reasons for the "almost" there). As I starting a new project, I
want to use Derby as base for it.
First problem I've found is I can't rename a table. Using IBM cloudscape
workbench (I know, it's not a derby tool - but works for the basics), I
don't have an "rename table" option.
Going to a query window and typing:

rename table CITY to CIDADE

the first thing I notice is "rename" is a not recognized (by CS
Workbench) as reserved word (ok, it's not a Derby problem).
The second is when I execute, I get message

org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Operation 'RENAME' cannot be
performed on object 'CITY' because CONSTRAINT 'CKC_CITY_CAPITAL' is
dependent on that object.

Well, CKC_CITY_CAPITAL is a constraint inside the table. So, it should
be automatically adjusted to new name. At least, this is basic I expect
from database... Then I remember to hear somewhere on the world about
cascading changes on metadata. I tryied, but it appear just being a rumor:

rename table CITY to CIDADE cascade

got:

org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Syntax error: Encountered
"cascade" at line 1, column 29.

So, IMHO, the rename table is completely useless, because there is no
relational table on the world that has no constraints (either check,
references, uniques, etc).

Could someone point me what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,

Richter