db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: network server not shares access
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:02:47 GMT
Flavio Palumbo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a little class, derived from NsSample.java in
> D:\db-derby-10.1.2.1-bin\demo\nserverdemo, that starts an embedded network
> server, than an embedded client, not embedded driver but
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver, to access the data provided by the
> network server , all togheter with my application within the same jvm.
>
> I supposed that the network server had the ability to share the data among
> different applications... but this seems not to be true cause I tried to
> start the ij utility to access to the same database, while my application is
> running, receiving these messages :
>
> ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'c:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB', see the next
> exception for details.
> ERROR XSDB6: Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database
> C:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB.
>
> Obviously, when I shut down my application, ij starts to run.
>
> I testes the same behavior in a network environment :
> I have a shared directory on a win 2k server with my application, and if I
> start it from 2 different clients, the first runs, while the second freezes
> until I shut down the first.
>
> Now I'd like to know how can I share the data in this scenario, is there any
> properties settings that allows my application to concurrentlu access the
> same db ?
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Flavio
>
> PS I run with jvm 1.4.2_09 both win 2k & win xp sp2 and derby 10.1.2.1

> Il presente messaggio non costituisce un impegno contrattuale tra SILMA S.r.l. ed il
destinatario.
> Le opinioni ivi espresse sono quelle dell'autore.
> SILMA S.r.l. non assume alcuna responsabilita riguardo al contenuto del presente messaggio.
> Il messaggio รจ destinato esclusivamente al destinatario.
> Il contenuto e gli allegati sono da considerarsi di natura confidenziale
>
> Nel caso abbiate ricevuto il presente messaggio per errore siete pregati di comunicarlo
> alla casella segreteria@silmasoftware.com.

Hi Flavio -
I suspect that IJ is loading the embedded driver rather than the client
driver.  Be sure your connection URL in IJ contains the client driver
host:port information.  For example, if your application starts network
server on the manchine called MYCPU and listening on port 1234 you would
use the following connection command:

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://MYCPU:1234/c:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB';

Please let me know if this solves your problem.