db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Please try your applications with 10.2 optimizer changes
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:48:47 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Or try now and when the DERBY-781 changes are committed. The earlier the
>feedback the better chance of it being addressed in 10.2 release.

Yes, definitely worth testing now. There  has been a great deal of code
change in the past year that might affect users.     The optimizer
changes are one area but there are lots of others too.  Exceptions have
changed significantly in the client.  With the introduction of JDBC 4.0,
  I am guessing DatabaseMetaData and ResultSetMetaData are high risk
areas for any application that depends on them. Also I think that LOBS
are another area were folks should definitely test after significant
changes like DERBY-326/DERBY-721.

Our known list of changes that may affect existing applications is at:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&customfield_12310090=Existing+Application+Impact&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESCrg/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?filterid=12310892

I have not done a complete pass of the changes and think there are
probably more.

One interesting thing to look at to identify other risk areas is  the
results of running the 10.1 tests against 10.2.  Just by scanning the
new output you might spot something that will affect your app.

 You can see these test results at:
http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/10_1_tests_10_2_derby/
For example in connectionJdbc20 you can see the new exception for
DERBY-721.

*** Start: connectionJdbc20 jdk1.4.2_07 DerbyNetClient derbynetmats:jdbc20 2006-06-27 00:44:04
***
2a3,5
> java.sql.SQLException: Stream of column value in result cannot be retrieved twice

Kathey