db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Workarounds for language based ordering and matching in Derby
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:23:59 GMT
Thanks all for your help with this issue.  I added what I learned a
table with a potential language based character type processing
strategy  at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LanguageBasedOrdering

I hope users will update this page as time goes on if they get something
working. I left the open question of whether IN needs any special
handling. GROUP BY doesn't have a potential workaround, but DERBY-883 is
in progress so that will certainly help there.

After looking at the feasibility of language based ordering and matching
using functions, my conclusions is that it should be possible if :

1) You are willing to go very deep into the swamp  as Rick would say,
not only in implementing the functions but also in adjusting your SQL to
use them.
2) You don't have a lot of data and performance is not an issue.

I filed DERBY-1478 to  track the general issue long term for a built-in
Derby solution.

Thanks

Kathey