db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: should Clob.getSubstring() allow length of 0?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:16:30 GMT
Hi Craig,

Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Lance,
>
> On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:55 AM, Lance J. Andersen wrote:
>
>> The JDBC methods should, as much as the possibly can, be consistent
>> with the behavior of methods in the JDK.
>>
> I agree with your point here. I think all of us are saying that there
> is no inconsistency with zero length Strings in JDK. All of the
> methods we've looked at are consistent with allowing the APIs to
> handle zero length Strings as a simple boundary condition. The only
> thing that's a bit hard to grok is the fact that JDBC generally uses
> 1-origin indexing while JDK uses 0-origin. But everything in the API
> allows zero-length Strings.
This issue has nothing to do do with zero-length Strings, but the valid
parameter values for getSubString().  The javadocs currently make no
claim on *any* values,  so it is open to interpretation.

As i said, it really boils down to what the EG will agree to document at
this point in time as the correct behavior and until i conclude that
discussion, there really is nothing more i can provide for input.

Regards
Lance