db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: should Clob.getSubstring() allow length of 0?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:58:26 GMT
Hi Craig, Kathey,

First, it seems someone took my subtle attempt at humor the wrong way.
My apologies as I was not trying to insult or offend anyone (but it was
9:40pm EDT and I had been working since 6am to meet some deadlines).

My point was, that I cannot guarantee that a vendor is not throwing a
SQLException in the case where the length is 0,  someone might have
chosen to do this, i do not know.  The spec does not articulate a
specific behavior one way or the other so from a spec perspective, they
are within their rights to do so as the API does not define the
behavior.  This was what i was referring to in my attempt at late night
humor.  I have been surprised many times over as to how some items have
been implemented by vendors given the lack of clarity.

I think i will sign off derby-dev for a while...

-lance