db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can I encrypt a non encrypted database ?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:54:34 GMT
Supal Patel wrote:
> Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalamati@...> writes:
>> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>>> Hello Supal,
>>> I don't think encrypting an existing (unencrypted) database is possible
>>> yet, but there is somebody working on adding this feature. You can track
>>> the progress by watching the issue DERBY-1156:
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1156
>>> Does anyone know if this issue is still on track for the upcoming 10.2
>>> release?
>> I am working on the feature (DERBY-1156) that will allow users to
>> configure an existing un-encrypted database for encryption. I hope to
>> finish this work for upcoming 10.2 release.
> Hi Suresh & Kristian,
> Thanks for the response. I checked the Issue DERBY-1156 and it seems that the
> development work on that issue is almost over. Then I downloaded latest db-
> derby-snapshot- but that does not have your changes.
> Can you help me with how can I get the patch for this issue ? Is it included
> in any of alpha snapshots ? The only way to get this patch is download the
> complete development trunk and build it or is there any other shortcut :) ?
> When is the oficial release expected?

According to http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease, 10.2 is
targeted for release the 19th of September.

I don't know when the next snapshot, or maybe release candidate, will be

If you want to download and build Derby yourself, you can find the
necessary information at http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.
Please note that this will cause the alpha version tag to be set, which
disables database upgrade. This is also true for the 10.2 pre-release
Depending on your usage environment (testing, production etc), you might
not find this acceptable.

If you decide to build Derby yourself, we'll help you out if you get
stuck. We would also appreciate feedback on how the build instructions
could be made better!

> Thanks and Regards,
> Supal Patel
>> Thanks