db-derby-user mailing list archives

From pierre madiot <pito...@yahoo.fr>
Subject how to find programatically the max size of a column?
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:25:53 GMT
Hello,

I have to design a webapp form which would display an
error message when a <textarea>'s content is beyond
the maximum size of the back-end Derby's table's
column.

The user may at install time choose the size of the
VARCHAR column.

in the context of the MVC i'd like to have the C to
through an error to the V, when it finds out that the
field content sent from the form is larger than the
maximal acceptable from the M.

i'd like to be able to use the jdbc DatabaseMetaData
API to find out the information dynamically.
I wasn't able to find how how so far.

Ideally, i'd like to find a DB independant way to
retireve this info. I realise this is Derby focus
list, but our deployment targets 2 other major DBs for
now (MySQL and Oracle... would you have guess :).

anyway, thanks for all helps and hints on this.

cheers

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com