db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Morton <djmorto...@yahoo.com>
Subject Derby Shutdown
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:32:59 GMT
Hello All...

I was just wondering, why does Derby throw an
SQLException when it shuts down, ie:

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");

I always thought that exceptions were for exceptional
circumstances, but shutting down seems to be the
expected outcome from asking the database to shut
down.  Am I missing something?  It just seems odd to
me to have the above line of code in a try/catch block
with the catch block not really doing anything because
it is what I wanted to happen in the first place.

If anyonce could shed some light on this for me, I'd
appreciate it.

Daniel Morton