db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: should Clob.getSubstring() allow length of 0?
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:36:39 GMT
Hi Lance,

Unless I'm missing something, a zero length java.lang.String is legal
and necessary for completeness. Since there's nothing in the quoted
text, I'd assume that a zero-length String should be returned as long
as the start position is legal. Not an exception, not null, not
"nothing", but a valid zero-length String.

Craig

On Jul 14, 2006, at 6:32 PM, Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> Hi Kathy,
>
> I would probably expect a  SQLException to be thrown in this case
> or I guess you could return nothing.
>
> We did not discuss this stupid human trick in the EG :-)  but i
> guess we should have.
>
> Regards
> Lance
>
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Lance J. Andersen wrote:
>>
>>> Derby is correct.  The clarified JDBC 4 javadocs indicates the
>>> following:
>>

>>>         |pos| - the first character of the substring to be
>>> extracted.
>>>         The first character is at position 1.
>>>         |length| - the number of consecutive characters to be copied
>> Thanks Lance for looking at this.  The question is about the
>> length.  The length in this case is 0.
>> From the DDLUtils code it looked like this where clob.length() was 0.
>>
>> value = clob.getSubString(1, (int)clob.length());
>>
>> Is this  ok to send length 0 or to specify position 1 if there is
>> no character there?
>>
>> *
>> *

Craig Russell