db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Flavio Palumbo" <f.palu...@silmasoftware.com>
Subject R: connection strange behavior
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:35:28 GMT
Hi all,

sorry for the long delay of this response but I spent a little holiday ;-))

Could you please provide some code examples ?? specially when you say :

"Usually it is done by defining a global datasource that is started when
the server starts.  Then by setting the property
derby.drda.startNetworkServer to true in the JVM arguments that are set
at Server startup the Network Server will also start.  It is recommended
that he Network Server be started and shutdown when the server starts
and shutdowns and also that a security manager be used to secure the
environment."

Thanks a lot.

Flavio

Flavio Palumbo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks everybody for the suggestions provided ;-))
>
> Now I try to explane my goal :
>
> - I have an application shared in a local network environment (one jar
file
> where every client in the network can double
>   click and start it in a new jvm)
> - when the application starts, I'd like to start (automatically) the derby
> network server
> - every client opens a new connection to the server
> - when the client finishes its work, it closes its own connection, shut
down
> its instance of the application and closes
>   its jvm
> - the last client closes the server
> - note that the shared derby DB is in a network shared directory
>
> to achieve the aim explaned above I wrote a test case where I do something
> different : every time the application starts,
> it starts a new instance of the network server and a new connection. I did
> this cause I don't know how to start the network server only once (when
the
> first client starts the application) and also don't know how to be
informed
> when the last
> client closes the application.
> This kind of test seems to work ; if I open the application in two
different
> shells of my PC (two jvm) I can read and write into the same table of the
> same db, thus it seems to be shared as I desire.
> But following the tests I encountered some impredictable errors (not
always
> the same error, data seems to be lost, strange exceptions ...) making me
> think maybe this is not the right way :-((
>
> Thanks for any suggestion
> Flavio
>

> === SNIP ========
Hi -
Ouch, You are correct when you say:
" (not always the same error, data seems to be lost, strange exceptions
...) making me think maybe this is not the right way "
Strange exceptions and data loss is what happens when database I/O is
performed across a network.  Your configuration is causing these problems:
" - note that the shared derby DB is in a network shared directory "

The disks must be local to the machine running the Derby engine.

A centralized server architecture will handle this.  Start your server
and the Network server on the machine where the database files reside
and have the applications connect either to the server via whatever
protocols it supports or via the Network Server using the client
driver.  How you set this up depend on the server you are using.
Usually it is done by defining a global datasource that is started when
the server starts.  Then by setting the property
derby.drda.startNetworkServer to true in the JVM arguments that are set
at Server startup the Network Server will also start.  It is recommended
that he Network Server be started and shutdown when the server starts
and shutdowns and also that a security manager be used to secure the
environment.

HTH

Il presente messaggio non costituisce un impegno contrattuale tra SILMA S.r.l. ed il destinatario.
Le opinioni ivi espresse sono quelle dell'autore.
SILMA S.r.l. non assume alcuna responsabilita riguardo al contenuto del presente messaggio.
Il messaggio รจ destinato esclusivamente al destinatario.
Il contenuto e gli allegati sono da considerarsi di natura confidenziale

Nel caso abbiate ricevuto il presente messaggio per errore siete pregati di comunicarlo
alla casella segreteria@silmasoftware.com.