Add a new column to the table, copy the data into new column, change your view (drop-create) to start using the new column and ignore the old column in the table.
Ali

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.richter@mgrinformatica.com.br> wrote:
Just curious, how could a view change datatype of one column?

AFAIK, I can create additional column into the table, then use an view
with alias to that column... But what happen if the column if part of
primary key? Or foreign key? A unique index? Then developer still need
to deal with migrating data, droping constraints, recreate, and so on.

I do prefer think on views like "views" - not an workaround for missing
(and very important) database features.

Richter