db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ateesh_Ve...@rapid7.com
Subject RE: "generated by default" question
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:04:56 GMT
Here is a different view to the problem.

I have a bulk export-import routine that exports all the tables into .del
files for backup using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_TABLE and
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE procedures.

The export-import worked just fine until I realized that I cannot INSERT
into any of the tables that have IDENTITY columns. This is because while
importing all the identity columns are filled "manually".
So, the autoincrement counter is still at 0 while there already are rows
with higher values.

I worked around that issue by using 'ALTER TABLE columnName ALTER COLUMN
columnName RESTART WITH (current_max + 1)'.

But this proves that the current derby behavior is misleading if not wrong
(no matter what the specs suggest). Derby SHOULD generate a unique id
value.

I am pretty sure that, for someone who is familiar with the code fixing
the bug will be quicker and less painful than continuing with this debate.

Thanks
-Ateesh