db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "generated by default" question
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:04:18 GMT
On 6/16/06, Michael Segel <msegel@segel.com> wrote:

> > I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
>
> Whether you agree or disagree doesn't change the fact that this is a bug.

Whether or not this is a bug is not a 'fact'. That there is
disagreement would imply that such a determination lies more in the
realm of opinion.

> Here's a free clue. If I can't trust Derby to autogenerate a value by default
> that will insert a row which has no other problems or contraints, then I
> can't use Derby.

Are you trolling for responses here? Sure seems like it.

Hey folks: don't feed a troll.

A database system should be expected to issue an error when a sequence
generator hits an unusual condition. Unexpected data in a table with a
primary key that is an identity column which is generated by default
is but one of many such possibilities.

cheers,
andrew