db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "generated by default" question
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:22:14 GMT
derby@segel.com wrote:

> [mjs]
> Bzzzt!
> No.
>
> Already solved your first example. Just reset the sequence if the row has a
> value in the identity column between CBV and MAX.
> Oops! Guess that blows away your theory.

I don't have any theory, I was pointing out that the proposed "very
simple solution" had some issues. To become workable it needs some
additional changes, potentially like the ones you described, thus the
solution becomes more complex. I just didn't want someone to start
implementing it and assume it would automatically be accepted as a solution.

This is how open source works, people suggest solutions, others see
issues with them, others provide additional input, and hopefully a good
solution emerges from the community.

Dan.