db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:47:21 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 6/22/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Last week, Sun Microsystems announced that it will bundle Derby with the
>> next major release of the reference jdk, Java SE 6, also known as
>> Mustang or jdk1.6. If you download the latest Mustang build, you will
>> see that it contains our Derby 10.2.0.3 snapshot in the "db" directory
>> parallel to "lib" and "bin".
>

> Is this Derby or JavaDB ?

Sun Microsystems announced that it will bundle "Java DB"
with Mustang.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060621/sfw063.html?.v=66

>  I imagine that the Derby update
> cycle will synchronize somewhat with the JDK update cycle,

I doubt Derby's release cycle will synchronize with the Sun's JDK
release. Sun's JDK is just one of many that distribute Derby technology.

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby

> Btw, to which files does the COPYRIGHT containing an IBM copyright
> notice refer to ? A search in the Derby sources did not bring up any
> source copyrighted by IBM.

The original contribution of Derby was from IBM, hence IBM has the
copyright on all those original files. The ASF policy is not to have
individiual copyright statements in each source file and the new policy
(I think) is to remove the copyright statement in each source file,
leaving just the reference to the Apache Licence in the source file.

Dan.