db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Vic Ricker <...@ricker.us>
Subject Re: "generated by default" question
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:29:57 GMT

Michael Segel wrote:
> Look, if you grok the math, you'll see that if you return a result from the
> sequence that causes an error, then you've got a bug, when there's another
> number within the result set that doesn't cause the exception.

I don't know how you can call it a bug.  The behavior is documented.
Just because it doesn't work the way you think it should doesn't make it
wrong.  There are other databases like PostgreSQL that behave similarly.
  I suppose they are buggy as well?

> Again, here's the simple and *EFFICIENT* solution....

[SNIP]

It sounds pretty expensive, especially if you're doing a lot of
inserts/updates.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.