db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: "generated by default" question
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:38:30 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> Uhm,
>
> I'm sorry, but where did I ever say 'select max()'?
> Hint: I didn't because its not that efficient.

Presumably he column would be indexed if you're doing operations like
max() on it anyway, so efficiency isn't the problem.  I suspect the
problem would be what to do when two users tried to insert rows at
around the same time.  The second would fail to commit the transaction
and have to try again.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll