db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Deadline: Monitoring and Management Requirements for Derby June 18
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:37:58 GMT

Sanket Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> We request all Derby users to please look at the document called
> "Requirement Specifications for Monitoring & Management Extensions
> using JMX" at the Derby Wiki and assing priorities to the features
> they feel are most important.
It is a little hard to understand what I am voting on without details
of what is going to be provided.  Do you recommend any specific reading
to be able to understand jmx and what you want to do for derby in that
context.  For instance derby already presents
a way to look at a list of all locks in the system, if you are just
going to repackage the list into a different linear list then that is
not that interesting, but if you will provide a much friendly view of
the info then I would rate that high.

Some of the low level monitoring is hard to comment on without
understanding the costs incurred by the monitoring.  xact/second may
be interesting but not at the cost of slowing down every xact in the
system.

I would rate creating and using a backup as 4's, it would be really nice
to have a user friendly way to do this.  Even better would be a user
friendly way to set up a system of daily incremental using rollforward
backup and weekly full backup.

I would rate running recovery as 0, there is no way to run recovery
other than automatically by connecting to the system.

I would add compressing a table to management, probably same priority
as rebuilding indexes.

Depending on when suresh is done it may be nice to add encrypting
existing db to management, i believe interfaces are already checked in
so early development on management should be possible.

Are "notifications" binary this happened events, or is info also passed.
A programatic way to get the query text of executing queries may be
interesting - I don't know if this is monitor or notification.

how about compile vs. execution time of queries.