db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: The tutorial on migrating DB to derby
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:57:52 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> On 6/15/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> The problem was just that  ddlutils was not handling the case where the
>> lob length was 0, but it was not null (an empty string was in the CLOB
>> column)
>> The hack of a patch below got me going.
>

> Mhmm, the Clob Javadoc does not explicitly state what should happen if
> the length is 0. Then again, it does not say that an exception will be
> thrown, either, so I would assume that 0 should be regarded as a valid
> value.
> Anyway, I'll add your patch as a safety measure to DdlUtils

Please note,  my hack of a  patch is not ready  and needs adjustment.
It calls Clob.length() twice which may be a performance issue on some
systems and I  haven't tested it with BLOB's and looking at the code now
I see it  is  flat out wrong.

I'll file an issue with DdlUtils so someone can fix it right and  will
follow up with derby-dev on the getSubString issue.  Even if fixed in
DERBY  it would great to see a fix in DdlUtils, since it would then work
with existing Derby versions.

Kathey